Sunday, October 27, 2013

Caprese Quinoa Bake


I have finally managed to keep a basil plant alive for more than one week. Herbs seem to be some of the only types of plant I have a hard time keeping alive, but I am hoping this basil plant proves I have overcome that hurdle. Anyway, my basil plant is the inspiration for this recipe. I was looking for a way to mix things up using basil and found this Caprese Quinoa Bake. Anything with the word caprese in it can't be bad, right?

Caprese Quinoa Bake

recipe modified from http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/creamy-caprese-quinoa-bake/

 

Ingredients:

2 cups o f quinoa (It needs to be cooked before added. I cooked mine in vegetable broth)
1 cup of pasta sauce (I used Traders Joes garlic pasta sauce)
2 Tblsp of tomato paste
1/3 cup coconut milk creamer (The recipe calls for half and half but I used So Delicious creamer)
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup of mozzarella
1/2- 1 cup heirloom or pearl grapes
1 large bunch of fresh BASIL!!!
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
1. Heat pasta sauce and tomato paste in a saucepan.
2. Once warm , stir in cream, parm, salt, and pepper.
3. Remove from heat and add cooked quinoa.
4. Fold in mozzarella and chopped BASIL (save some for the top).
5. Spray a 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan with oil.
6. Add mixture to baking pan and top with mozzarella.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes. The cheese should be golden.
8. Add fresh BASIL.
9. Let the bake sit for 5 minutes.




2 comments: